The black scene of the tragic RG Kar Medical College case is once again in the headlines. The legal saga has taken a turn for the worse right when people thought that the trail had ended after the main accused, Sanjay Roy, was convicted in January 2025 by the trial court. The parents of the deceased postgraduate trainee doctor are not happy. They feel that huge chunks of the puzzle were missing in the investigation. They would like a more extensive investigation of the bigger conspiracy into the brutal rape and murder of their daughter.
The case was brought right before a division bench in the Calcutta High Court. The bench is headed by Justice Soumen Sen. This is in line with a landmark judgment of the Supreme Court of India. The high court recently ruled that it would hand over all the monitoring functions of the RG Kar incident to the state level as late last year. They gave the files to the Calcutta High Court saying that the local judges will be better equipped to monitor the ground realities, safety changes and any pending legal case that may be left behind.
It is now the specific responsibility of Justice Soumen Sen to look into whether the law permits further investigation at this stage. The parents’ lawyers have a strong case. They demand that the Central Bureau of Investigation was not thorough enough to catch the big fish in the institutional cover-up and rushed to complete its charge sheet.
Looking Into the Scope of Section 173
Court arguments concerning the law are becoming increasingly technical. If the investigation is completed by a central agency, such as the CBI, a final report is filed. But the law contains a specific safety valve. When new evidence appears, under the criminal procedure rules, investigators are always allowed to make a “further investigation. It is applicable even when a trial has come a long way or been completed.
Justice Soumen Sen is now segmenting the exact boundaries of this provision. The victim’s family filed a detailed petition noting the crime timeline had a number of missing factors. They are stating that a solo attacker was not able to orchestrate such an inhumane act and fool the institution to the extent that they are able to, without getting high-level assistance within the hospital administration.
The division bench must strike a balance between emotional distress and a set of legally imposed limits. If a family is not happy with the court verdict, a re-investigation cannot be ordered. The bench should have cogent, actionable points that would justify resuming the investigative process, Justice Sen said. The court is looking into the case diary and the earlier status reports submitted by the CBI during the peak of the trials at the Supreme Court for any untangled threads.
These suspicions are not resolved by the parents.The parents do not resolve their suspicions.
The reason for this plea now is because of the tremendous frustration that is building up on the victim’s family. They have never accepted the “lone wolf” theory put forward by the investigative agencies. The family knew from the beginning, when hospital officials first attempted to frame the death as a suicide on August 9, 2024, that it was a big cover-up.
In front of Justice Soumen Sen, their lawyers argued a number of points. They noted that the scene was soon contaminated by the discovery of the body. Days later, thousands of protesters and political activists stormed the hospital grounds and many were vandalized. The family thinks this may have been done on purpose to destroy important forensic trail marks.
They also want more information about the former principal of the institution Dr. Sandip Ghosh’s actions. The Ghosh family says a more in-depth investigation is required into his involvement in the actual events following the murder, and he was also arrested and investigated for financial corruption, delayed the official police complaint. They have explained to the court that the rush to celebrate the cremation and the rapid renovation of the seminar room in which her body was discovered suggest there’s an active conspiracy, which has not been punished in any way.
The Larger Institutional Clean Up
The Calcutta High Court isn’t only examining the murder files. The Supreme Court also handed over the entire monitoring system to them, and Justice Soumen Sen’s bench is also responsible for monitoring hospital safety. The medical fraternity in the whole of West Bengal is waiting in anticipation.
The family’s demand for transparency is supported by junior doctors, who went on strike in 2024 for several months, marking a historic event. Their connections say that true safety can never be guaranteed if there is no action taken to expose the deep-rooted “threat culture” in the state-run medical colleges. The central government’s National Task Force recommended to them the measures on security booths, facial recognition cameras and duty room facilities.
The ground level level of implementation, however, is far from consistent. Justice Sen’s bench will be checking the amount of money the West Bengal government has spent on these security upgradations in the last one year. As the court has emphasized, both institutional accountability and criminal justice go hand in hand. If the administration did not protect its doctors, this is why it should be documented.
What Lies Ahead for the Case
A court will be involved, and it will take time. Justice Soumen Sen has asked the CBI and the State Government to respond to the fresh application by the family. The court wants to see a breakdown of what facts were looked at and what suggestions were ruled out early on in the investigation.
The family’s lawyers want a special team of investigators, possibly under a retired judge’s supervision, to examine the allegation of evidence tampering. They say the local police and the CBI neglected to take the names of several senior doctors who were working in the hospital at the time of the incident and conduct proper interrogation of them.
If the Calcutta High Court finds that there is enough basis for further probing then it can easily throw the current legal status of the case into disarray. It would mean that the CBI will have to reopen interview and may have to file a supplementary charge sheet. This is a long and grueling battle for the parents. They have said that they will not relent until everyone involved in what happened that night is hurled into the lap of Justice. And that’s where Justice Soumen Sen comes in.



