GTA 6 18-Month Delay Confirmed by Take-Two CEO – Risk of Securities Law Violations and Class Action Suits

It was no secret that the new Grand Theft Auto was coming to a late release. It’s the way Rockstar operates. We expect delays. Well, until a few days ago we didn’t really know how bad the internal schedule was getting. Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick pretty much gave the internet a big piece of the puzzle. He did an interview with David Senra on podcast, and revealed a little tidbit that completely ruins the official timeline. Zelnick openly admitted the project is running “about 18 months behind” the original date.

This is huge. It alters the way we see all of the publisher’s public statements. Over the last year they’ve been throwing numerous release windows. First they said 2025. Then, they whittled it down to fall 2025. Then the window slides to May 2026. We have a locked date for now as November 19, 2026. When the big boss admits they missed their original secret deadline by 18 months, it means that all the dates they have announced to date are likely to be. But they were trying to push the goalpost back while not scaring away the market.

When was this game supposed to be released?

Calculate 18 months delay. This means that the initial envisioned release time for this monster game around Rockstar was spring 2025, if their current release date is to be believed. Maybe even November 2024. Now take a moment to consider that. Between 1 billion and 1.5 billion dollars were flushed into this one project by Take-Two. It is like the budget for Call of Duty is a joke. They have developers who’ve taken a decade of their lives to create a virtual version of Florida.

The remarks Zelnick made in his podcast were carefully worded. He put it that way, like they’re just escaping the dreadful time crunches that destroyed many lives in Red Dead Redemption 2’s days. At the time, the developers were clocking in 100 hour work weeks to get the code done. And Rockstar vowed that they wouldn’t do that to their employees again. So it would be quite laudable on paper to give the team all the money and all the time. But the real-life explanations of why things got delayed may be much more complicated.

The ugly labour dispute in the background

It’s hard to talk about this huge slate of games without referring to the sheer chaos that broke out at Rockstar North late last year. The company made a sudden layoff of about 40 staff members in November 2025. These weren’t your typical game testers at the bottom. Senior artists and key developers were let go. Gross misconduct was the official excuse given by the company. These were the individuals who were allegedly leaking company secrets on social media forums, according to management.

This was, of course, an excuse that the Independent Workers’ Union of Great Britain said is “nonsense. The IWGB filed a harsh lawsuit against the video games company. They state that all the charges of leaking were baseless. It’s merely a transparent tactic to camouflage old fashioned union busting. The union claims that the sacked workers were protesting for improved rights and that Rockstar had panicked as a result. The huge labor uprising took place simultaneously with Take-Two’s delay announcement of November 2026. If there is some significant production at the moment, firing dozens of senior staff members in the middle will ruin your timeline no matter what the PR department tells the public.

Why Wall Street is Getting Nervous

This is where it can be legally risky for the publisher. It’s bad to break the law and incite union members to work against the law. Being able to conceal the fact that you have big production issues and the people who are purchasing the stock in your company don’t know that can be a whole different issue. Typically, investors have invested billions of dollars into Take-Two stock expecting its biggest cash cow to meet its targets. The mere mention by a CEO that the game was really 18 months late throughout raises immense red flags to the issue of corporate transparency.

The securities law is pretty strict about this. If executives know that the game is in serious delay at the back end, they can’t be telling the shareholders that they are on track to release the game on time. Add the dirty labor issue and you have a potential litigation behemoth. If former employees are disgruntled, they can prove that Rockstar illegally fired them and thus caused a disruption of the game. When that occurs, the furious investors will smell blood in the water. Earlier, there was buzz among the financial community regarding potential class action lawsuits. Stockholders hate surprises. It can be very upsetting to learn that a billion dollar product was on troubled waters while executives were feeding them the line that all was well.

It’s time to look ahead to November.

Right now we’re closing in on a November 19, 19 release. The hype train continues to roll as the franchise is too big to fail. This single item of media can make this much money on day one, no other media can do this. However, the story of the launch has been forever changed. No more a fun story about a cool video game with great graphics.

It turned to worker exploitation and possible coverups by the companies. Take-Two will have to weather the coming legal storm from the IWGB and somehow defuse the tensions among their shareholders. They must establish November as a true conclusion and not a temporary bookmark. If they slip into 2027, it’s a virtual certainty that a flood of lawsuits will follow. Eventually, gamers will be able to play in Vice City once more. The big one is, of course, what will they lose in terms of legal and financial damage before the final code actually gets to stores.

Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *